Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Doubly churched

 Our church we now join online because it is the church I grew up in and the church I am still serving in as a pastor but we have moved overseas. I still preach every weekend and worship lead. My parents are the founders and often go back several times a year. It is complicated indeed.


A year ago, I fell in love with a local church. It was difficult for my kids to cope with an online church so they liked the idea of attending a church on site. My hubby and I served playing the piano there for a year just to “help out” but eventually, was called in weekly. It started to seem like we were regulars when that was not my intention, even though I loved that church deeply. I prayed about it and soon left it. I believe it was not a coincidence that it just so happened to be exactly a year since we stepped into that church. Maybe God allowed us to serve there for a year just to teach me something about ministry.


My husband now takes the kids to a nearby mega church or the Salvation Army on Sundays and then come back to join me and my parents online for church, worship leading, etc. 


It really is complicated and I don’t wish it on anyone else.


That being said, I don’t believe in doing church anymore. And I am sick and tired of what humans have made God’s Kingdom look like. There is no “stealing sheep” or “my church, your church” in heaven. I don’t think Jesus will have to choose one church to attend every Sunday. 


Then again, I believe that church is a spiritual family. And then, there is the matter of commitment and covenant. I believe a church is a family you are called to. And that it is a match made in heaven, so called. 


Rather confusing, as everything else is. Everyone is different and given a different assignment in different seasons.

0 comments: