Skip to main content

Single Female Ministers - Dating and Courtship

Hi there, this would have been me when I was 25. I was a pastor and single and can totally relate. I also had my own company at that time, which was like a tuition and homeschooling center while I was the children's ministry pastor and worship led at the main service and preached at youth services. 


Hearing God's voice is key. My husband was spiritually much younger than me. And 4 years younger as well. Before we got together, he was a Bible School student, and I was a Bible School lecturer. He also worked for me part time. His first language wasn't English and we couldn't really communicate well. He was from interstate. I knew his parents (church leaders) since I was young but we weren't friends then.


So I guess you can say we met in Bible School but we were barely friends either because of the language barrier. But to cut the long story short, someone who questioned him revealed to me that he liked me so I prayed and fasted about it without him knowing that I knew or why I was fasting for a couple of days. When I got the confirmation from God, I told the pastor above us (my mom), and he was advised to pray and fast about it before approaching me. And he had the green light from God. So then he prayed for timing, and when the time came, he asked me if I would pray about it not knowing I had already prayed about it. And that's how we started.


Not long after, we prayed about marriage and the timing for marriage. And got it. We are happily married with 3 kids now. This month marks 13 years since he has asked me to pray about it. We have been married for 12 years now. I married an acquaintance because even though we were in a relationship, we weren't very close and did not communicate very much because of language issues. It was a match made in heaven. I figured we could spend the rest of our lives getting to know each other and we had plenty of time after marriage to be friends. We actually became enemies the first few years. It took about 10 years before we actually became friends. And hopeless romantics now. I almost called it quits so many times but God knows what He is doing. I remind myself of all the evidence and confirmation that He had given us through His Word while I prayed. And that helped me stay on. I'm glad we hung on because we're much closer now and love does grow with time. I would have done it all again.


Also during my week of fasting, God had already revealed to me about His will within the first 24 hours but the rest of the week, God was just correcting me and preparing me for the relationship I was about to get into. He told me that if any arguments came up between my husband to be and I, it was because of my pride -- because I thought I was 4 years older, and more mature, and English speaking, and was a master's degree holder (he only held a diploma), I was his boss, I was a pastor, I had my own company, etc. I had so much to be proud of. So He warned me about my pride and submission issues. 


Over the years, he hasn't been able to catch up spiritually. Sometimes, I wonder if he is even born again or have the same level of intimacy with God as I. But I remember Smith Wigglesworth who used to be a plumber and wasn't born again until his wife prayed through for him and he had a 180 degree transformation later in life before he began his ministry.


One of the best advice given to me just before I got married is that the guy God has for me may not be the ideal 'godly guy' but we have to pray him into it throughout the marriage by being the godly wife.


One of the things God asked me to do during my fast was to bring forth the 'List'. (I once heard a pastors wife said she wrote 49 things she wanted in a guy and they all came to pass - brown hair, brown eyes and all - so I wrote 50 things, hence, the 'List'.) And I wrote things I wanted in a guy like, "Prays and fast once a week, does devotion everyday, prays everyday, reads the Bible everyday, etc." and God told me to start applying those conditions to myself -- if I met those conditions myself or not. And it was a real wake up call for me. I had to lower my standards. I wasn't being fair on him. (Although he did fit the criteria at that time and I probably did too.) But what God meant was that I had to get rid of that ideal mindset. And if I don't, I would be gravely disappointed because I was too idealistic.


So to answer your question on dating, the answer is no. I've had my share of bfs and broken relationships and regrets before this guy, so dating is a no-no thing. Trust me. Don't get into any relationship without the green light. And if you hear nothing, just wait, don't rush. And if you can't hear God, well, then that's another issue that has to be dealt with first because we can't have a relationship with someone we can't hear.


If you need any advice on theology where dating and marriage is concerned, I strongly recommend Phylicia Masonheimer, Ever Woman a Theologian on insta https://www.instagram.com/phyliciamasonheimer?igsh=MWZyOTg4andnemwweA==

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baptism and sinless after

1. Jesus was baptized  2. Jesus’ disciples baptized 3. Jesus commissioned us to baptize 4. Ephesians 4:22 talks about putting off the old man.  This means leaving your past behind and you are not that person. Your dead body is buried and you are now alive because of Christ in you. So the devil cannot point his finger at you and condemn you for your past sins because that person is dead, and you are not that person. You are a new creation. If Christ is in you, Hebrews 6:4-6 says we cannot crucify again the son of God.  2 Peter 2: For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning. 21 For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them. 22 But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: “A dog re...

Lazy teens

A teen is not a kid anymore. Then again, boys mature about 3 years slower, so just take that into account.  When faced with lazy teens, we need to find out the root issue — is it a spirit of laziness? It has to be addressed. He needs to know that it is a spirit and not him. And that he has to fight it. And what happens when spirits like that are not warded off. And how they can ultimately possess a person when entertained and given into. If it’s not laziness, it is a lack of motivation. What do they really have in mind that is really bothering them or they are inspired about and work on that.

Woman Leadership

I am convinced of God’s call upon my life. And am prepared to do anything He asks me to do, whether I receive approval from anyone or not.  It’s so important to read the Bible in context and to know the history of Corinth and how the women in their temples were prostitutes calling the men to have sex with them as part of their religious ceremony; and how they thought the church would be the same. That’s why the women there were asked to keep quiet. I am a woman pastor. I am ordained and I am a woman. God calls whom He wills. When God first created the world, He made man and woman equal. When Eve fell, Adam was standing right beside her (Gen 3:6). He did not speak up but watched, listened, received and ate. Nevertheless, Christ, as the new Adam, came as the Son of God and Son of Man, to restore what was lost when man fell. Thus, God’s original plan for mankind where male and female are equal, has been restored, and the curse, broken. Women and men are equal again. Jesus submitted Hi...