Skip to main content

Gift Giving Christmas Tradition

Each of my children give a gift to each family member because the best part of Christmas is giving. 


As a child, nobody asked me to give but my parents were pastors and I always saw my mom wrapping gifts for the whole church throughout Christmas Eve night and I just caught the spirit of giving, I guess. I started making and wrapping all kinds of presents for my siblings since I was about 7, and it carried on to family members and friends, then I added more and more church members over the years until I would end up wrapping gifts for every single church member I could think of and extras for new comers. On Christmas Morning when I got to church, I had about 3-4 XL paper bags of presents to give out to every church member in mind from a baby to the oldest person there... This tradition carried on even until after I got married.


So as far as Christmas traditions goes, this memory is what I wanted to pass down to my own children. I start with the family -- each kid buys a gift for each family member, including mummy and daddy, grandpa and grandma. So that's a lot of gifts. I literally have a spreadsheet to keep track of who gives what, status whether the gift has been delivered/ordered/arrived/purchased and where I've hidden each unwrapped gift because I get confused all the time.


We aren't very well to do so I bring them to a salvos or order online. And sometimes, when I see a good deal, even early on the year, I would grab it and hide it the whole year.


I pay for all the presents. They don't have an allowance. Also the presents don't cost much. Some are free - found them on the side of the road, or given free on Facebook marketplace. Mostly from thrift shops and garage sales, so they only cost a few dollars. The presents from kids to kids doesn't cost as much as the presents from mommy and daddy. They're usually less than $2, the more expensive ones $2-$5. Rarely will I get something $5-$8. It's usually something they like - suits their personality or something they need, something educational, and something that can be shared with other siblings, including the person that gave it to them. 


I have given things that I bought from thrift shops like a second hand skateboard for $3, a pair of skates for $4, Barbie for 50c each, a boardgame for $2, a storybook for $1, etc. I collect them throughout the year so I make sure that I get something they would appreciate and not just because it's cheap. Kids are kids. They are at that age where they would appreciate a second hand item just as much as a new one, especially if it's something they want. Also, as they grow up, they kind of get used to preloved items. It's become a norm in our family. You tend to overlook these things after a while and it doesn't cross your mind anymore.


Interestingly enough, there was a Christmas when I actually went ahead and got them certain items, one of which just so happened to be lying on the road. And when I got back and asked my eldest what she wanted to give my youngest, it was that exact item she described: a unicorn toy so I went to the car and grabbed it and she was dumbfounded like -- how'd you get it so fast? And this happens every now and then. Amazing. God knows our needs.


The more expensive presents are usually educational: science kits from Kmart, or Christian books and materials from a Christian Bookshop, that I might be using as part of the next school year but a bit more out of the norm and more fun. I don't mind paying more for those.


The kids also bring candy cane, sweets and goodies we collected throughout the year, in cute Christmas bags to church on Christmas Morning to give out to the kids in church.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baptism and sinless after

1. Jesus was baptized  2. Jesus’ disciples baptized 3. Jesus commissioned us to baptize 4. Ephesians 4:22 talks about putting off the old man.  This means leaving your past behind and you are not that person. Your dead body is buried and you are now alive because of Christ in you. So the devil cannot point his finger at you and condemn you for your past sins because that person is dead, and you are not that person. You are a new creation. If Christ is in you, Hebrews 6:4-6 says we cannot crucify again the son of God.  2 Peter 2: For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning. 21 For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them. 22 But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: “A dog re...

Woman Leadership

I am convinced of God’s call upon my life. And am prepared to do anything He asks me to do, whether I receive approval from anyone or not.  It’s so important to read the Bible in context and to know the history of Corinth and how the women in their temples were prostitutes calling the men to have sex with them as part of their religious ceremony; and how they thought the church would be the same. That’s why the women there were asked to keep quiet. I am a woman pastor. I am ordained and I am a woman. God calls whom He wills. When God first created the world, He made man and woman equal. When Eve fell, Adam was standing right beside her (Gen 3:6). He did not speak up but watched, listened, received and ate. Nevertheless, Christ, as the new Adam, came as the Son of God and Son of Man, to restore what was lost when man fell. Thus, God’s original plan for mankind where male and female are equal, has been restored, and the curse, broken. Women and men are equal again. Jesus submitted Hi...

Lazy teens

A teen is not a kid anymore. Then again, boys mature about 3 years slower, so just take that into account.  When faced with lazy teens, we need to find out the root issue — is it a spirit of laziness? It has to be addressed. He needs to know that it is a spirit and not him. And that he has to fight it. And what happens when spirits like that are not warded off. And how they can ultimately possess a person when entertained and given into. If it’s not laziness, it is a lack of motivation. What do they really have in mind that is really bothering them or they are inspired about and work on that.