Skip to main content

Why Japan didn't invade Australia

When the Japanese occupied Malaysia, they would kill and torture innocent civilians, turning women and girls into 'comfort women'. Many were brutally raped and murdered casually, publicly and and as leisurely. They would take a pregnant woman and force her to drink soap water, then balance a plank of wood over her belly and play the see-saw on it. Did it make my blood boil just hearing about it? Of course, it did. Could I forget? Of course, not.


My grandfather would rant on and on for many years -- how and what they did, what he saw. Horrific first-person stories. They were disgusting. Did listening to those stories create resentment, hate and bitterness in my heart? Yes, they did. 


Every grandparent had their fair share of stories, so did every war-torn country affected: Korea, China, Malaysia, even America -- the thought of Pearl Harbour still sends chills up our spine. I remember seeing an elderly Chinese woman who demanded a public apology from a Japanese ambassador for using her as a comfort woman for so many years -- he refused. Yes, he refused to apologise. Why should he? He never committed those crimes -- he was probably not even related to any of those who did. He could have easily represented Japan and apologized being an ambassador himself, but he refused. He probably didn't want to be associated with those who did those crimes. Who would? 


So it made me wonder -- what difference would it make if he did? Closure? Words are just words. It cannot change the past. What about making her feel better? Would it, really? Can she feel good about herself after? 


Today, Japan is one of the most highly respectable countries. I still buy Toyota cars. I think the Toyota is the most reliable car brand hands down and will probably ever only buy a Toyota. I love a good sashimi with wasabi. My own husband worked as a Teppanyaki chef and sushi chef for years. I love Japanese anime. I think Japanese RPGs totally revolutionised what gaming could be. I personally travelled to Japan when I was eleven.


I don't demand a public apology or sympathy. I don't try to stir up hate and resentment against the Japanese in my children's hearts. I don't hold it against the Japan of today. We don't require them to acknowledge what they did, not once, and especially not on a regular basis like at the opening of every formal meeting of a private company or even a public one. None of those countries seek to do any of these things anymore. We have all got on with life. And that's the way Australia needs to get on with life. In fact, if the Japanese ever invaded Australia at any point, our history would be very different and we'd be ranting about very different things. They probably wouldn't be teaching the Japanese language in schools anymore. Maybe that's why Japan didn't invade Australia -- up till today, Australia would still be demanding a public apology from Japan that would never be granted. Join the queue..


The world has moved on. Sadly, Australia is clinging on to the past and resenting the living as well as the dead. There is no future in the past, or sympathy from the dead. Give it up. Most, if not all of those people who did those horrific war crimes have died. And if they haven't, go approach them about it but let the rest of Australia be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baptism and sinless after

1. Jesus was baptized  2. Jesus’ disciples baptized 3. Jesus commissioned us to baptize 4. Ephesians 4:22 talks about putting off the old man.  This means leaving your past behind and you are not that person. Your dead body is buried and you are now alive because of Christ in you. So the devil cannot point his finger at you and condemn you for your past sins because that person is dead, and you are not that person. You are a new creation. If Christ is in you, Hebrews 6:4-6 says we cannot crucify again the son of God.  2 Peter 2: For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning. 21 For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them. 22 But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: “A dog re...

Lazy teens

A teen is not a kid anymore. Then again, boys mature about 3 years slower, so just take that into account.  When faced with lazy teens, we need to find out the root issue — is it a spirit of laziness? It has to be addressed. He needs to know that it is a spirit and not him. And that he has to fight it. And what happens when spirits like that are not warded off. And how they can ultimately possess a person when entertained and given into. If it’s not laziness, it is a lack of motivation. What do they really have in mind that is really bothering them or they are inspired about and work on that.

Woman Leadership

I am convinced of God’s call upon my life. And am prepared to do anything He asks me to do, whether I receive approval from anyone or not.  It’s so important to read the Bible in context and to know the history of Corinth and how the women in their temples were prostitutes calling the men to have sex with them as part of their religious ceremony; and how they thought the church would be the same. That’s why the women there were asked to keep quiet. I am a woman pastor. I am ordained and I am a woman. God calls whom He wills. When God first created the world, He made man and woman equal. When Eve fell, Adam was standing right beside her (Gen 3:6). He did not speak up but watched, listened, received and ate. Nevertheless, Christ, as the new Adam, came as the Son of God and Son of Man, to restore what was lost when man fell. Thus, God’s original plan for mankind where male and female are equal, has been restored, and the curse, broken. Women and men are equal again. Jesus submitted Hi...